Lisa & Fred

Lisa & Fred
Photo of The Bergen County Dining Duet Courtesy of SHR Images

Monday, August 24, 2015

Harvest Bistro & Bar, Closter, NJ



Restaurant Link:


Harvest Bistro & Bar

Fred's Review:


Although I've lived in Bergen County for several decades, Lisa moved here relatively recently. When we first met, she was residing some 90+ miles away in Bucks County, PA. As we spent a good deal of time in that area during our courtship days, she introduced me to an array of excellent restaurants there, including her favorite, a nearby French bistro. But when she would visit me, I had a problem. Since her tastes were much more refined than mine, and still are, where should I take her for dinner?

Despite the length of time I had lived here, I knew few fine dining establishments in northern NJ. And I couldn't expect her to be satisfied for very long, as I was, with lunch specials at the local diner and take out pizza or Chinese food for dinner. So, as a simple guy in love and trying to impress his classy gal, what swanky joint should I take her to? An answer would have to be found quickly, before she left me for some dapper metrosexual dude with more sophisticated tastes. 

Fortunately, with the help of online restaurant review sites, an answer was soon found. In fact, many were that we now dine at regularly. And prominent among these is Harvest Bistro & Bar in Closter, which has become one of our favorites. In fact, Lisa has rated it comparable to that French bistro she took me to years ago.
 
The ambiance at Harvest is quite nice. The main dining room has a comfortable feel, with a stone fireplace, wooden floors, large wood framed windows, and a steep vaulted ceiling supported by exposed beams. There is also a separate bar area, as well as an outside patio with a few tables surrounding a central fire pit. Lit fires both inside and out during the colder months evoke an almost ski lodge atmosphere throughout the restaurant. 

Dining Room

Fireplace

Winter View of Patio

Here's Lisa beside the fire pit one dark evening just after she conjured up from the flames some sort of hound-shaped demon. She's a woman of many talents. 

Lisa's Fire Demon

My standard meal at Harvest has become the Onion Soup followed by the Steak au Poivre, and both are excellent. The soup has just the right blend of flavors, and with its huge bread slice and thick layer of melted gruyere cheese, it is a meal in itself. The steak is always cooked to perfection and covered in an outstanding peppercorn sauce that is without question the best I've had at any Bergen County restaurant and perhaps the best I've ever had. And it is served with ample portions of nicely prepared fries and green beans. One time, these sides were so generous that the steak had been placed partially on top of them. So as I tried to cut my first slice of meat, the entire steak unexpectedly started rolling on the green beans, and nearly flew off my plate and onto the table. Not very suave if you want to impress your date. Thankfully, Lisa and I were married by then. 

Onion Soup Gratinee

Steak Au Poivre

With its more than adequate portion sizes of excellent French inspired cuisine served in a very nice atmosphere, Harvest is definitely worth a visit. But I would recommend dining there midweek or early on weekend evenings in order to avoid the large dinner crowds and truly enjoy the quiet romantic feel of the restaurant. 


Lisa's Review:


Harvest Bistro and Bar is a great French bistro that is tried and true. I think we've been there perhaps 20 times over the last 3 years and we've never been disappointed.

Well, that's not completely true. 

I have to admit that I was disappointed when my favorite salad was taken off the menu, and I know Fred was truly disappointed when the Steak au Poivre was taken off the menu for a short time. 

So what's so great about Harvest?

Three things (and they're all food!):

1. Butter Lettuce Salad with sesame dressing
2. Onion Soup Gratinee
3. Steak Au Poivre

Now when you read Fred's review you will realize that the Onion Soup and Steak Au Poivre are his favorites, and notably, they are still on the menu. The Butter Lettuce Salad is my favorite salad in Bergen County ... and alas, it's gone!


The sadly missed Butter Lettuce Salad

Having said that, I have found a reasonable substitute. The Heirloom Tomato Salad with Mozzarella and Prosciutto is very good, though not as good as the Butter Lettuce Salad. There I said it. I will also point out that it was I who first discovered the Steak Au Poivre, and now Fred claims it as his own. He's gallant enough to tell me he needs "help" to finish it. Just as well or we'd have a BIG problem! So while I demurely allow Fred to order the steak, I usually order the Salmon which is served with crispy skin over a bed of spinach and is delightful. Then I help Fred with his steak.  

Most recently, I ventured beyond the fish and ordered the Short Rib. There was nothing short about it. It was big, juicy, fall off the bone, sweet, sticky BBQ. I LOVED it and so did Fred. I'm guessing next time we go, he will claim this dish as his discovery, and then I shall return to the Steak Au Poivre and Fred will be gushing about the Short Rib.


Heirloom Tomato & Mozzarella Salad


Grilled Salmon


Jack Daniels BBQ Short Rib


I guess you can tell we really enjoy the food at Harvest Bistro, but there are also many small touches that make the experience enjoyable. The cocktails are always well made and presented in chilled glasses, the bread and olives/olive oil blends are much appreciated and the service is prompt and friendly. 


Bread & Olives/Olive Oils


French Martini

Harvest is lovely for a "date night" but is equally enjoyable with a small group - we have brought friends and family here and all have enjoyed it. 

We highly recommend Harvest Bistro!

No comments:

Post a Comment